The fresh basil is essential to this recipe. This pizza functions well as an appetizer or a simple lunch-time meal. I made it for a cookout and everyone loved it! The recipe below is for two appetizer sized pizzas but can be doubled for company.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes at 400 degrees F
- Whole wheat flat bread (or any flavored flat bread). Check that it’s made with whole wheat as the first ingredient. The Whole Grains Council offers some easy label reading advice. Just because the front label states ‘wheat’ does not mean it’s the best pick.
- 1- 6 oz. can organic tomato paste (tomato sauce or fresh sliced tomatoes are good substitutes)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 4 slices provolone cheese- cut or torn into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese, divided
- 1 thinly slice Roma tomato
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced or diced red onion
- Black pepper and sea salt, to taste
Step 1: Coat pan with organic Olive Oil cooking spray. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Step 2: Lightly coat flat bread on both sides with olive oil, add black and salt pepper to taste.
Step 3: Arrange provolone cheese to the flat breads. Sprinkle with half of the Italian shredded cheese. Add basil on top of cheese, along with onions, olives (we have added turkey pepperoni here also before), and sliced tomato.
Step 4: Sprinkle with remaining shredded Italian cheese. Add several small dollops of the tomato paste (thin with water as desired). A little goes a long way with the tomato paste. Sprinkle with black pepper to taste.
Bake for approximately 10 minutes on middle rack, checking occasionally. Remove from oven, slice, and garnish with fresh basil if desired. Enjoy!